Thursday, September 16, 2010

Tribute to Aunt Ruth (by Darel Grauberger )

We would periodically receive letters from Aunt Ruth and Uncle Bruce while they were overseas. I recall once receiving a package addressed to my brother John and I which contained several small, handmade replicas of weapons, instruments, and tools used by the highland natives of New Guinea. As we looked through the items and the accompanying letter (As I recall Mom read through the letter out loud- not that we couldn't both read, but possibly to bring some semblance of order to the potential bloodshed that can occur when siblings receive packages with exotic postage stamps addressed to both of them) we learned that Aunt Ruth wanted John to look through these items and have first pick of what he liked the best since he was the eldest. This was the first set of instructions in the letter. Mom stopped reading and waited for John to peruse the goods, while I silently questioned the wisdom of my Aunt Ruth.

I need to mention that included in the collection of handmade treasures was the true prize of the set- a miniature bow and arrow. There were other neat things there- a drum, a farm implement of some kind, even a spear. But none of them really held a candle to a young warrior's weapon of choice- now THIS was something a guy could really use. It was obvious that I wasn't alone in my thoughts as I saw John eying the little archery set with the same wide-eyed stare and maybe even a slight facial twitch. This wasn't just some little souvenir to a pair of boys and as John picked up the little bag that held the bow, I saw that the time of choosing had come to an abrupt halt. The bow and arrow would be his.

Mom then read the rest of the letter.

Aunt Ruth now wanted John to take the item that he had chosen as his most favorite, the prize possession, and give it to his brother, whom he loved.

To say that I didn't gloat a bit that day would be a lie. Being the youngest in the family always comes with the feeling of having far too few moments of true justice to savor. Needless to say Aunt Ruth instantly recaptured her sage/genius status and I'd never seen such a wise and impacting application of biblical wisdom applied to everyday life.

I tell this now to say that Aunt Ruth provided for me that day, because of her willingness to share it, something that would stay with me for the rest of my life. I learned that to reserve the best for myself would be a mistake, a missed opportunity. I still have that bow and arrow today and each time I look at it reminds me that unless I learn to give, and give hilariously, I can count myself out of receiving any blessing or insight that may have been set aside for me. It gave me a tool in my drawer of life skills to pull out and pass along to my daughter. It was a true gift from a woman who penned some of the most interesting and witty letters I have ever read and who in person never ceased to entertain and interest me. I’m grateful to have known and loved her while she was here passing through and look forward to future conversations with her- freed from the constraints of time.

God bless you Uncle Bruce. Aunt Ruth- I'll see you sooner than I think, I'm sure.

Darel Grauberger
Nampa, ID

1 comment:

  1. I hadn't heard this story, Darel. Well written. A treasure. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete

NOTICE: You can add a separate tribute here in the comment option (instead of simply commenting on an existing tribute) and I will insert it as a separate post. OR, you can send to me at leddieboy@gmail.com.